Tuesday, September 2, 2008

oorah SSRGNT Burrison!



I remember when I first got to "Paradise Island" SC After receiving uniforms, recruits are quickly introduced to there platoon's drill instructors. Senior Drill Instructor (patriarch Figure), Heavy Hat (mean accountant), and Kill Hat (SSRGNT Burrison). As you may notice from the photo, I'm around 6 ft 2 in. Even in my terrified hunched-over-please-don't-pop-my-heart stance, SSRGNT towers over me. With arms longer then legs, and a smile creepy enough to make the hairs on your neck stand constantly at attention. (first time i had ever seen him smile)

Daily, SSRGNT Burrison would "put pain into our little weak bodies", and all the recruits knew if he told you owed him he would remember at the most miserable time. I remember once having to wash the whole squad bay with one towel and some rubbing alcohol, he made me sing "Eye of The Tiger" as I painfully stretched across the floor then back again. Although SSRGNT was very by-the-books in the pain and discapline department, he became alot of the recruits favorite instructor because he had been in "the shit" and never sugarcoated any of it. He fought in desert storm, among the Marine Corps elite air wing. He was one of the only drill instructors who could really teach us what "fog of war" is and how to avoid making bad decisions during that time.

Fog Of War- a term used to describe the level of ambiguity in situational awareness experience by participants in military operations. The term seeks to capture the uncertainty regarding own capability, adversary capability and adversary intent during an engagement, operation or campaign

Fog Of War(for dummies)- Bombs start exploding, and people start dieing and your ability to make decisions is extremely effected

As the training days slowly went by, I began to have more and more respect for SSRGNT Burrison. He had been to war and knew what it takes to be trained to go. What I thought to be unnecessary brutality, was really the core of knowledge that would ultimately save my life.
So have a toast to Staff Sargent Burrision! Spill a little of that 40 oz out! Or just hold a moment of silence wherever you are for one of the most ruthless, yet loyal amphibious warriors on the face of the earth.

Oorah SSRGNT Burrison!

1 comment:

Kerri Lynne said...

Oorahrah! (am I a hot amphibious warrior yet, or do I still have more work to do?)


"Spill a little of that 40 oz out!" ... I took that as a personal underlying shout out to me, hope I was right in my assumptions!


Keep blogging, you know you love it!